Neofitos Stefanides M.D. is board certified by the American board of orthopedic surgeons. He is also fellowship trained in sports medicine and shoulder reconstruction.
He was born and raised in the Long Island town of Garden City. He attained a bachelors degree from New York University and subsequently his medical degree from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston.
He completed his internship at St. Vincents hospital in Manhattan and his orthopedic surgery residency at New York Medical College Brooklyn and Queens Region. His specialty training was obtained in San Francisco with the world famous Eugene Wolf M.D. and the prestigious James Kelly M.D. His specialty training was specific for arthroscopy about the shoulder and knee as well as shoulder reconstruction. Dr. Stefanides is fluent in English, Spanish, and Greek.
• Practice Name- Neofitos Stefanides M.D. P.C.(incorporation date 10/15/2008)
• Astoria Location- 30-74 31st St.2nd fl. Astoria, New York 11102
• Bayside Location- 222-15 Northern Blvd Suite LA. Bayside, New York 11361
• Mount Sinai Hospital Queens- Effective 11/10/2008
• Wyckoff Heights Medical Center- Effective 11/01/2008
• Mercy Medical Center- Effective 01/31/2009
• Fellowship in Surgery of the Shoulder, and Knee
California Pacific Medical Center & Saint Mary’s Medical center, San Francisco
Eugene M. Wolf M.D., Director of fellowship, James Kelly M.D.
• Orthopedic Surgery Resident
New York Medical College Brooklyn and Queens Region
Orthopedic surgery degree June 2007
• General Surgery Internship
St. Vincent’s Hospital New York
• ABOS board certified 07/24/2018 through 12/31/2028
•Tufts University School of Medicine MD degree 2002
•New York University Bachelor of Arts 1997 College of Arts and Science
Active member Hellenic Medical Society (since2002)
Director of scholarship and membership committee
Active Fellow FAAOS Fellow of American Academy of orthopedic surgeons. (since 2019)
Active member AANA Arthroscopy Association of America (since 2019)
2003-2007 Resident Liaison to the AAOS Queens, NY
New York Medical College Brooklyn and Queens Division
2002-2007 Medical coverage of high school football team New York, NY
Bryant High School
June 2006 AO Basic Fracture Course Marco Island, Fla
Ranawat Orthopaedic Research Foundation New York, NY
Studying polyethylene wear in 100 total hip replacement
patients with the use of digital radiographs.
1999-2001 Tutor USMLE I New York, NY
Taught basic sciences for classes and board exams
1998-1999 Summer Fellowship Queens, NY
• Attended morning conferences and CCU rounds
• Observed angiograms
1996 Summer Fellowship New York, NY
• Published work with honorary mention
• Mapped 2 of 4 genes of the GS gene family, the product of which is the first enzyme responsible for nitrogen assimilation in plants.
• Put into practice a number of molecular techniques including: Southerns, Northerns, PCR, DNA extraction, and probing.
1995-1996 Junior Class Representative New York, NY
Student Council (NYU)
• Attended weekly meetings to discuss topics pertinent to the CAS student
• Gathered information from the students to improve classes and social events
1995-1996 Fellowship Bronx, NY
Einstein Hospital Melrose on Track
Experienced various areas of this methadone clinic: counseling, admitting, primary care
Stefanides, N., Goding, R.B., Tamborlane, J.: Use of Sugar Tong Splinting After Closed Reduction of Pediatric Distal Radius Fractures. Presented at New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons second annual convention at Hospital for Special Surgery. Poster Contest. First Prize. September 2003
Azar, G.A., Shaw, T.S., Stefanides, N.: A 29 Year Old Worker With a Hamate Disclocation and Triquetrial Fracture: A Case Report. Published. American Journal of Orthopedics June 2007.
Stefanides, N.: Evaluation and Management of Shoulder Pain. Presented at SVCMC Family Practice grand rounds. December 2005.
Stefanides, N: Medical Coverage of Athletic Events. Presented at SVCMC Family Practice grand rounds. October 2004
Stefanides, N: Acromioclavicular Joint dislocations. Presented at SVCMC Orthopedic Surgery grand rounds. June 2003.
Stefanides, N: Buergers Disease Must be Included in the Differential of Lower Extremity Pain. Presented at St. Vincents Manhattan General Surgery grand rounds. April 2003.
Oliveira, I.C., Coruzzi G.M. N. Stefanides honorary mention. Carbon and Amino Acids Reciprocally Modulate the expression of Glutamine Synthetase in Arabidopsis. Journal of Plant Physiology 1999.
Drake Scholar at New York University 1993-1997
Languages English, Greek, and Spanish.
Interests Athletics, Chelsea Pier indoor soccer league (’02-’06), travel, furniture restoration, piano.